When you are unhappy with some aspect of your physique, you may try everything from dietary and exercise changes to expensive beauty products to achieve your desired appearance. While these efforts can be beneficial for some, they may not be for others, and some people turn to plastic surgery procedures for assistance in obtaining a more proportional figure and smooth contours. At Boulder Valley Plastic Surgery, Dr. Swail specializes in many types of innovative surgical and non-surgical procedures that can help you reveal your true inner beauty. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
If you are thinking about getting plastic surgery, there are several factors to consider. In today’s post, we will explore some common types of cosmetic surgeries, as well as some of the benefits patients can expect to experience following their procedure.
Common Plastic Surgery Procedures
While many people are familiar with tummy tucks (abdominoplasty) and nose jobs (rhinoplasty), there are several other types of other plastic surgery procedures. Most of them can be classified into one of three categories: body, breast, or facial.
- Body. This type of procedure is designed to create a balanced, proportional physique and smooth uneven contours. Tummy tucks, liposuction, arm and thigh lifts are all examples of body procedures.
- Breast. Designed to enhance, reduce, lift, and even rebuild breast tissue, breast surgery can resolve many medical and aesthetic concerns. Common procedures include augmentations, reductions, lifts, and reconstructions.
- Facial. This type of cosmetic surgery resolves facial medical and aesthetic concerns, including deviated septums. Examples include facelift and brow lift procedures, as well as nose and eyelid surgeries.
It is not uncommon for more than one of these procedures to be completed at the same time. For example, during a “mommy makeover,” a patient may undergo breast surgery, a tummy tuck, and liposuction to produce the desired results of a “pre-baby body.”
Benefits of Plastic Surgery Procedures
Individual results vary with cosmetic procedures, but most patients experience a few common benefits. These include:
- Improved mental and physical health. Some patients have reported a reduction in social anxiety as they feel more comfortable in public situations. Others report feeling more in control. In terms of physical benefits, rhinoplasty procedures can resolve breathing difficulties and breast reductions can reduce neck and back pain.
- Increased self-confidence. It is no secret that when we look good, we feel good. Many patients report a boost in self-esteem following plastic surgery, choosing certain types of clothing they didn’t feel comfortable in previously and having a greater willingness to try
- Enhanced motivation. Patients who struggled with shedding the final pounds in their weight loss journey have reported an increased desire to live a healthy lifestyle following procedures like liposuction and tummy tucks to maintain their new appearance.
Important Factors to Consider
The benefits of plastic surgery can be amazing. Before you schedule your procedure, there are a few important things to consider.
First, consider your motivation. Are you interested in plastic surgery to correct a specific health issue, or is there a non-medical reason behind your interest? Have you exhausted all non-surgical avenues before researching surgical ones? It is important to understand that cosmetic surgery is not a solution for low self-esteem and it is not a recommended alternative to natural weight loss. Also, you should never consider procedures at another person’s request or to look like another person.
Additionally, it is necessary to consider your expectations. Remember that one patient’s success with a particular procedure might not translate to your own. It is also important to be realistic about your expectations and take your natural body composition into account when discussing your goals with your plastic surgeon.
Finally, be sure that you have done your homework and that you are aware of the downtime and potential risks involved with your desired procedure. While cosmetic surgery has become a common practice, it is still a surgical procedure and is not without serious risk.
Boulder Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
Are you interested in learning more about a specific plastic surgery procedure to determine if it is the right solution for your needs? If so, the team at Boulder Valley Plastic Surgery would love to speak with you. During your consultation, Dr. Swail will discuss your concerns and your goals while reviewing your health history to determine if you are a candidate for plastic surgery. If it is determined that plastic surgery is a good fit for your unique situation, we will work with you to schedule your procedure and coordinate billing with your insurance company. Call us today to get started!